November started out with a shiver. Not because it was cold, but because our clubhouse hosted a reptile show for the kids. We had the day off from school, so the big kids got to tag along...really, we might have skipped it had they been in school. Abigail was in heaven. She loves all things creepy, crawly, slippery, slimy, etc. She tried to volunteer every time, but the host was very talented at spreading the joy to anyone willing (and sometimes not so willing).
She was holding 4 snakes at one time for this glamour shot
Snakes, I can handle. Spiders...not so much. Yuck!! The kids were all fascinated while most of the moms took a step back. Haha!
Zebediah usually prefers animals from a distance, but this time didn't mind getting up close and personal. It was really fun to learn about a few different types of snakes, lizards, spiders, tortoises, and more.
Maggie got in on the action as well. It was tricky trying to keep track of all the kids once it was time to explore the animals.
They kept trying to lift this snake...he sure was patient!
Abby and Abby were dubbed the "snake wranglers" because they never wanted to put them down. They turned into big helpers for the other kids to have turns while the host was helping with the other animals. How fun!
We moved on from creepy crawlies straight to making messes. All the kids love being creative in their own way, but painting seems to be a common ground. We had some amazing masterpieces from this session...which all disappeared before we could get pictures.
Guess we'll just have to paint some more. Elizabeth asks to paint on a very regular basis and gets the biggest grin when the answer gets to be "yes". She is such a joy!
Our couches had seen better days...so we took the plunge and bought a new one. Bryan took it upon himself to go out shopping while I stayed home with the kids (who got the better end of that deal?!) and found a fabulous couch. It feels like sitting on a cloud! The only drawback was I really didn't like the throw pillows. Good thing that's an easy fix!
BEFORE: dark and dreary (it was later pointed out that I did some fancy work with the lighting to get my point across - wish that had been intentional. The truth is that the before picture was taken during the day when the corner lamp didn't need to be on. Maybe next time I'll be intentionally artistic. Probably not.)
AFTER: bright and cheerful. I even got to have some fun and make seasonal cases for 2 of the pillows (the autumn leaves pictured. The blue with dots and white with flowers stay year-round). Feeling pretty proud of my domestic skills at the moment.
I don't remember why this picture was taken. Maybe it was to show how well Zeb and Maggie were eating their spaghetti. Doubtful. Maybe it was taken trying to get the twins (they just have so many similarities!) to smile. Probably not. Most likely, one of the other girls found my phone and took pictures because that's what they do. No matter where I put my phone, they find it and load it up with fun, funny, interesting, questionable (and other such adjectives) pictures. Life is fun.
This quote has been my life for the past ever. At least that's how it feels sometimes. It is so reassuring to know that I must be doing something right.
Post-partum hit me a bit harder this time around. It was a struggle for a while to feel like myself. Reading words from living prophets and apostles kept me going when I just wanted to take the day off. My calling to teach the Laurels in our ward kept me focused on the light of the Gospel. Nothing like teaching others about Christ to keep Him the center of your day!!! Finding gems like the above picture that beautify the thoughts I want to keep around make life just that much better (there are some amazingly talented people out there! printable credit goes to www.teepeegirl.com). Finding and keeping the positive in my life makes me so much more grateful for the wonderful man that is my husband and the fabulous little people that are my children. I love them even when they pack their bags to move to Gma's house...twice. I love them even when they scream that they just wish we (the parents) would get divorced so Dad could get a new girlfriend instead of me (we might just have a stubborn issue in our house...so when neither wants to admit they are in the wrong and back down, things can be said that aren't meant). I especially love them when we realize that life is so much better when we are willing to say sorry and forgive each other and hug it out. Having the guidance from the Gospel of Jesus Christ makes our lives infinitely better each and every day and I honestly don't know how we would get through this life without it.
On a lighter note, we have been doing a lot of family rollerblading/bike riding outings lately. Zeb and Abby are really becoming excellent bladers. I'm trying to keep up with them. Good thing I have a stroller to hang on to! Haha! Margaret is improving her biking skills daily. She was a bit nervous to take the training wheels off of her bike. Can you imagine Maggie being nervous?! We couldn't either. She is conquering her fears and loving it.
One of our favorite trips it to blade and bike to one of our nearby parks, play for a spell, then make our way back home.
Being able to play at the park year-round is definitely a perk of living where we do.
Our nephew, Grayson, was in a play! He played on the of the bullies in "A Christmas Story". We love going to plays...and having family in the cast is a bonus.
He did a great job and we can't wait to see what he does next.
Oliver just keeps growing and growing. His smiles are super contagious. He was 3 months old in November, so the obligatory* photos happened.
Oliver loves to see the world and reach for anything around him. He has a ready smile and fun giggle. His eyes are mesmerizing. Love this little man!
Comments