Bryan had the opportunity to provide service through his work last week. Friday was a company-wide "give service" day and there were several project choices. Bryan chose to work at the L.A. Zoo. He was so excited to go to the zoo...and was looking forward to cleaning up after the animals. When he got to the zoo, however, he learned that they would not be working with the animals. Darn it...not quite the dirty job he was hoping for! He made hammocks for monkeys instead. They wove fire hoses that had been painted green (to make them blend better with the habitat). Bryan's group made 5 monkey hammocks that afternoon (with only the zoo workers they complete 1 per day...so they saved the workers 5 days!). I think that's much cooler than scooping elephant poop!
Anyway...since he was spending the day at the zoo...we decided to do the same. This was our first trip to the L.A. Zoo and we thoroughly enjoyed it! My only complaint of the day is I felt like I was climbing a mountain. I am pretty sure that I was pushing the stroller uphill for 75% of the day. Thinking positively...at least I got my workout for the week! Zeb was so excited to see all the animals - and to take pictures of the animals. Abigail was an angel and slept nearly the whole time, making it much easier for me to wrangle Zeb.
The meerkats were the first exhibit we stopped at. He had no idea what they were, but loved them anyway. Loved them so much that he tried to climb in there with them (not his only attempt of the day...just his first)!
The giant tortoises were having a race when we stopped to watch! Once again Zeb tried to climb into the exhibit. Crazy kid. We didn't stay long enough to see the race finish, but I'm pretty sure that they guy out in front won. The others didn't seem to be trying that hard.
Zeb has started to introduce our family to everyone...a new trick since he discovered his baby sister was here for good. He points to each of us and says our name in his own special way - Dadda, Momma, Hamma (who knows how he gets that from Zeb!), and Abba. When we stopped to see the tigers, he introduced everyone along the fence to the tigers. Not once, not twice...in fact I lost count how many times he shouted our names to the tigers. "Hey tigers! Momma, Hamma, Abba, No-no (his name for people when he doesn't know their name)." Repeated over and over. I'm certain that we provided just as much entertainment for the other guests as the animals did!
All morning Zeb had been asking to see the hippos. We finally found them after walking about halfway to the top of the mountain, that is to say the top of the zoo!
They are a little hard to spot...but this is a picture of some chimps. This was one of Zeb's favorite exhibits. Across the walk path there is an area with large stone steps. He was too busy running around copying the chimps for me to really get a good picture.
Bryan finished his project in the early afternoon and was able to join us...just in time for the giraffes! Zeb was so excited to see Bryan that he wouldn't let Bryan put him down. He refused to get back in the stroller after Bryan joined us. He would either walk or make Bryan carry him. Lucky Daddy - haha!
This was the most interesting animal for Bryan and I. Anyone know what it is? We sure didn't until we read the signs. We even took a picture of the sign so we could remember what it is called. Any guesses?
The lovely lions...from a very safe distance.
A better shot of what we were admiring.
Last, but certainly not least, an alligator! Zeb's favorite animal is a crocodile (I blame Disney's Peter Pan for that one!) so imagine his excitement seeing an alligator. He didn't want to leave!
Here's the answer to the question above...in case you were still wondering. We had such a fun time at the zoo and are sure to be repeating the adventure!
Comments
This looks like such a fun day! And warm too. I'm jealous about that part!