Skip to main content

Keeping Busy

We've been kept busy lately getting ready for our new addition. Kind of forces us to admit that her not coming early is a blessing in disguise - sometimes very well disguised! Anyway, we've been having fun getting everything ready for her. 
 
One of the more necessary projects was to repair our changing table.  I know there are some out there who think a changing table is a waste...but I am not one of them!  I love having the table for not only changing the baby, but also as storage space for all her clothes, blankets, accessories, etc.  Zeb, being the adventurous little boy that he is, broke through all 3 planks on the changing table just as he was outgrowing it.  He started jumping on it during his "nap time" and found out pretty quickly that they didn't provide the bounce he was after...only scratches and bruises.  Fast-forward about a year (give or take a few months).  We decided to replace the planks rather than replace the entire table. 
 
 
Now that he's grown up a little Zeb loves to be a big helper.  He saw Bryan working on the new planks and found his own way to help. 


Zeb started "sanding" the planks with a square of styrofoam.  So much fun working together!  Zeb even enjoyed cleaning up after the project was complete.  He still loves to vacuum (hopefully a life-long love) and is getting very good at picking up when asked. 

Turned out perfect!

Another project has been my first attempt at a piece quilt.  Let's just say I wasn't even sure what a Jelly Roll of fabric was until I started this project.  Now I know.  It was at least as much work as I thought it would be...and turned out even cuter than I had hoped! 

 If you don't look too closely, it looks great!  I'm not quite sure how it happened, but even using a ruler and rotary cutter my pieces didn't all end up the same size.  I guess I'm just talented that way...right?! 

 I did keep this one relatively simple and did all the stitching by machine.  This project made me really appreciate the quilts from the past when everything was done by hand...and all the intricate stitching!  I almost felt like I was cheating.  Almost.  Not enough to stitch the quilt by hand.  But almost.  Maybe next time. 


Comments

Deon said…
No way were you cheating, missy! Your quilt is absolutely amazing! The patience involved in something like that is not within my realm of reality, I fear. I hope you are very, very proud of yourself!!!
Lisel said…
Your quilt is adorable! I love the fabric and think you did an amazing job! Good luck with that baby! I can't wait to hear all about it, and see the pics, when she gets here!
Ashley said…
I like the fabric with the big flower on it. Well done! Was it really almost a year ago that Zeb fell through the changin table? Time goes so fast...I agree, though, changing tables are great! Especially for the storage space and keeping things handy, but also for having a designated, easy-to-clean space for changing a newborn/several month-old. Sometimes it just seems to get everywhere!